Job Description Summary:
The Float Truck Driver schedule and tasks are prescribed by the General Manager and are specifically related to ensuring that the truck driver arrives on site as scheduled and conduct their work as specified, as scheduled, and in a safe manner. The position may include snow maintenance duties during the winter months as required and labourer or operator duties as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Efficiently and carefully load equipment.
- Comply with applicable legislation including safe operation, carriage of goods, driver's hours of service, occupational health and safety, and weights and dimensions
- Properly secure equipment prior to leaving the yard.
- Perform pre-trip inspections on vehicles, equipment operated and load, ensuring roadworthiness, and that safety, emergency, and mechanical equipment is in good working order.
- Perform periodic inspections before, during, and after delivery to ensure that load is properly fastened down and is secure
- Accurately follow work instructions and driving directions each day.
- Fill out a bill of lading for each drop off and pick-up.
- Check all load-related documentation to ensure that it is complete and accurate
- Perform general maintenance on truck during shift, including but not limited to the following: checking oil levels, checking fuel levels, greasing equipment, and checking tire pressure.
- Maintain telephone contact with the General Manager as required
- Report any truck or equipment related problems, traffic violations, or damage to the General Manager as soon as possible
- Ensure that the cab is clean presentable at all times
- Maintain good working relationships with all Gateman-Milloy Inc. employees
- Exhibit professional behaviour at all times
- Provide feedback to the General Manager regarding customer problems, mechanical problems, or delivery problems
- Work well with minimal supervision
- Operate company equipment safely at all times
- Ensure that any debris caused by the loading/unloading of truck is cleaned up
- Deliver to product and proper paperwork to our customers in a courteous and timely manner
- Follow all safety rules and regulations as outlined within the Highway Traffic Act.
- Comply with the duties outlined within theOccupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations for Industrial Establishments.
- Comply with responsibilities under the Human Rights Code.
- Complete all necessary paperwork at the end of the shift/day. May include, but not limited to, daily logs, inspection logs, delivery receipts, vehicle inspection, hours of service, etc.
- Perform snow maintenance duties as required
- Follow all company rules and regulations
- Perform any other duties and tasks as may be assigned by the General Manager
- Strong mechanical aptitude with ability to perform routine vehicle maintenance
- Demonstrated organizational skills with strong oral and written communication abilities
- Exceptional organizational abilities with task prioritization, multi-tasking, use of timelines and time management techniques
- Professional/mature demeanour under stressful situations and when dealing with clients, vendors, and suppliers
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to work with little supervision; must be self-directed
- Ability to read, speak, and understand English at a grade 12 level
- Basic math skills are necessary to calculate hours and complete logs accurately
- Familiarity with the GTA and SW Regions of Ontario and know how to read road maps
- Must be in sound physical condition and able to perform a physically demanding job
- Must have experience driving in all extremes of weather and road conditions including but not limited to rain, sleet, snow, and high winds
- High school education preferred.
- A current, clean, Class DZ to AZ License is required.
Two to three years trucking driving experience hauling heavy equipment and/or dump, tilt and load, or roll off trucks is required. This experience includes but is not limited to the following:
“Float trailer” experience—drop decks, double drops, and step decks. Dump truck driving, tilt and load, or roll off experience.
- Hauling oversize loads.
- Loading and securing heavy equipment and materials
- Mastery of Ministry of Transport, Ontario (MTO) safety regulations as pertains to hauling heavy equipment and driving a tractor-trailer
- Ability to work flexible hours (possibly 8 – 10 hours per day). Weekend work may be required. The hours of the Truck Driver are subject to change at the discretion of the General Manager
Please include the job title in the subject line of your email submission