The goal of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (the “Act”) is to create a more accessible Ontario, by identifying, and to the extent possible, preventing, and eliminating barriers experienced by persons with a disability.
Ontario Regulation 191/11, The Integrated Accessibility Standard (“the Standard”) has been established for the purpose of developing, implementing and mandating accessibility standards in order to achieve accessibility for persons with disabilities, with respect to goods, services, facilities, accommodation, employment, buildings, structures and premises
We at Gateman-Milloy Inc. are committed to providing a barrier-free environment for our clients and employees. The objective of this policy (the “Policy”) is to ensure we meet the requirements of the Standard and promote its underlying core principles, described below.
Unless otherwise limited herein, the Policy applies to all:
- Employees and volunteers;
- Persons who provide goods, services and/or facilities to the public or other third parties on behalf of Gateman-Milloy Inc.; and
- Persons responsible for the development of Gateman-Milloy Inc.’s policies.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Accommodate the public and clients by ensuring that people with disabilities are given the same access to goods and level of customer service as everyone else
- Ask clients if additional assistance is required and what type
- Promote the principals of dignity, independence, integration, and equal opportunity when providing service
- Allow customers with disabilities to be accompanied by a guide dog, service, and/or service animal unless prohibited by law
- Forward feedback regarding Accessibility Standards to Human Resources
- Complete provided training
- Create policies to ensure legal compliance
- Post notices of service disruptions that include the reason, anticipated duration and alternative options to access goods and services
- Identify, develop and deliver required training on policy
- Evaluate and ensure persons trained understand policy
- Receive and respond to inquiries regarding accessible customer service
- Advise employees on the Act, interpretation of this policy and providing accessible customer service
Core Principles of the Policy:
We strive to ensure that the Policy and related practices and procedures are consistent with the following four (4) core principles:
- Dignity – Persons with a disability must be treated as valued customers as deserving of service as any other customer.
- Equality of Opportunity – Persons with a disability should be given an opportunity equal to that given to others to obtain, use and benefit from our goods and services
- Integration – Wherever possible, persons with a disability should benefit from our goods and services in the same place and in the same or similar manner as any other customer.
- Independence – Goods and services must be provided in a way that respects the independence of persons with a disability.
Policy and Procedures
In accordance with the Customer Service Standards outlined in Ontario Regulation 191/11, this policy addresses the following:
A. The Provision of Goods and Services to Persons with Disabilities
B. The Use of Assistive Devices
C. The Use of Service Animals and Support Persons
D. Notice of Temporary Disruptions
E. Training for Staff
F. Customer Feedback
G. Format of Required Documents
A: The Provision of Goods and Services to Persons with Disabilities
Gateman-Milloy Inc. will make every reasonable effort to ensure that its policies, practices and procedures are consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity by:
- ensuring that all customers receive the same value and quality;
- allowing customers with disabilities to do things in their own ways, at their own pace when accessing goods and services as long as this does not present a safety risk;
- using alternative methods when possible to ensure that customers with disabilities have access to the same services, in the same place and in a similar manner;
- taking into account individual needs when providing goods and services; and
- communicating in a manner that takes into account the customer’s disability.
B: The Use of Assistive Devices
Persons with disabilities may use their own assistive devices as required when accessing goods or services provided by Gateman-Milloy Inc.
In cases where the assistive device presents a safety concern or where accessibility could pose an issue, reasonable measures will be used to ensure the access of goods and services.
C: The Use Service Animals and Support Persons
If a person with a disability is accompanied by a guide dog or other service animal, Gateman-Milloy Inc. shall ensure that the person is permitted to enter the premises with the animal and to keep the animal with him or her, unless the animal is otherwise excluded by law from the premises.
If a service animal is excluded by law from the premises, Gateman-Milloy Inc. shall ensure that other measures are available to enable a person with a disability to obtain, use or benefit from our goods, services or facilities.
If a person with a disability is accompanied by a support person, both persons are permitted to enter the premises together and the person with a disability is not prevented from having access to the support person while on the premises.
Gateman-Milloy Inc. may require a person with a disability to be accompanied by a support person when on the premises, but only if, after consulting with the person with a disability and considering the available evidence, the provider determines that:
- a support person is necessary to protect the health or safety of the person with a disability or the health or safety of others on the premises; and
- there is no other reasonable way to protect the health or safety of the person with a disability and the health or safety of others on the premises.
D. Notice of Disruptions in Service
Gateman-Milloy Inc. will notify customers if there is a planned or unexpected disruption of a facility or service persons with a disability use to access our goods and services. The notice will be posted at the main entrance of the office or by such other method as is reasonable in the circumstances.
The notice will include the following information:
- That a facility or service is unavailable.
- The anticipated duration of the disruption.
- The reason for the disruption.
- Alternative facilities or services, if available.
E: Training for Staff
Gateman-Milloy Inc. will provide training as required to all persons to every person who is an employee of, or a volunteer with, the provider, every person who participates in developing the provider’s policies and every other person who provides goods, services or facilities on behalf of Gateman-Milloy Inc.
Content of Training
Training will include:
- A review of the purpose of the Act and requirements of the Customer Service Standards
- How to interact and communicate with persons with various types of disabilities.
- How to interact with persons with a disability who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or support person.
- How to use equipment or devices made available on our premises to assist persons with a disability to obtain, use or benefit from our goods and services.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty accessing our premises and/or services.
Timing of Training
Training will be provided to all persons to whom this Policy applies as soon as practicable.
Records of the training provided, including the dates on which the training is provided and the number of individuals to whom the training is provided, shall be maintained in accordance with the requirements of the Act.
F: Customer Feedback
Gateman-Milloy Inc. welcomes and appreciates feedback regarding this Policy and its implementation. Feedback can be provided in the following ways:
- In person at 270 Shoemaker St. Kitchener ON (main office).
- By telephone at 519-748-6500
- In writing to 270 Shoemaker St. Kitchener ON N2E 3E1 – Attention: Human Resources
- Electronically to email@example.com
The Feedback Form will be posted on the Gateman-Milloy Inc. website
Responding to Feedback
Where possible, we will respond to complaints within two (2) weeks of the date that the complaint is received.
In certain circumstances, we may be required to take more action to effectively address the complaint. In such circumstances, we will respond to the complaint as soon as is practicable.
G: Notice of Availability and Format of Required Documents
This Policy and related practices and protocols shall be made available to any member of the public upon request. Notification of same may be posted on Gateman-Milloy Inc.’s website and at a conspicuous place at each premise to which this Policy applies.
Gateman-Milloy Inc. will provide documents, or the information contained in documents, required to be provided under the Standard, to a person with a disability in a format that takes the person’s disability into account.